PhD Student Basar Under Awarded ‘Best Music’ at the 51st Antalya Film Festival
Basar Under has been awarded the Best Music Award at the 51st Antalya Film Festival for his music in the film ‘Song of My Mother’.
Basar speech on the night: ” I dedicate this award to the memory of my dear father whom I lost ten days ago, many thanks to jury and friends.”
The movie “song of my mother” was awarded for four categories:
best first movie (director: erol mintas)
best actor: feyyaz duman
best supporting actor: aziz capkurt
best music: basar under
The trailer to the award winning film:
The awards ceremony video can be found here: http://www.tvyo.com/altin-portakal/video/en-iyi-muzik-odulu
The movie was also awarded at the 20th International Sarajevo Film Festival for the best movie and best actor. Here you can find the info about the movie: http://ticketing.sff.ba/en/film.aspx?ID=3653&title=Song+of+My+Mother
Distractfold Ensemble awarded the Kranichstein Music Prize
Ashley Fure (Composition / USA) and the Ensemble Distractfold (Interpretation / UK) were awarded the 2014 Kranichstein Music Prize. The prize, founded in 1952, is awarded to one current composition and one interpretation presented at the International Summer Course for New Music, selected by an independent jury, comprising the music journalist Carolin Naujocks, the composer Hannes Seidl and the accordionist Eva Zöllner, as outstanding in quality and significance. In 2014 the prize sum is 6000 Euros, divided equally between the winners in the two categories Interpretation (ensemble or soloist) and Composition.
Upcoming performances by PhD student Diego Castro Magas
Diego is a third year PhD student in Contemporary Performance under the supervision of Philip Thomas at CeReNeM (University of Huddersfield). Also, he is studying electric guitar under the guidance of Daryl Buckley.
- Nov 10, Blackheath Halls in London, alongside tracensemble (Peyee Chen, voice and Alba Bru, flute): https://www.trinitylaban.ac.uk/whats-on/blackheath-halls-events/event?event_id=72264
- Nov 24, hcmf// shorts: http://www.hcmf.co.uk/event/show/444
- Dec 1, conference presentation in Malmö: Tacit or Loud, Symposium and Festival for Artistic Research http://www.teatrweimar.se/tacitorloud/
- Dec 6, clapTON ensemble, Hundred Years Gallery, London.
Further performances next term:
- January 26, talk and concert in Brunel
- Jan/Feb TBC, talk, concert and workshop in Durham
- February 20, Electric Spring Festival (premiere of Cassidy’s The Pleats of Matter for solo electric guitar)
- March 19, lunchtime concert in Huddersfield alongside tracensemble
PhD composition student Daniel Portelli winner of the Winston Music ECF commission
Daniel Portelli’s performance at Soundstreams Emerging Composers Forum in Adelaide on 4 November 2014 won him the Winston Music ECF commission of $1500 for his piano multimedia work, Mapping Australia (2014). Performed by Gabriella Smart, the concert was recorded to be broadcast on ABC Classic FM’s New Music Up Late program on 29 November at 10:30pm. He was also asked to write a new work for the Soundstream Collective.
Daniel recently represented Australia as the Young Composer Representative at the Asian Music Festival 2014 in Tokyo and Yokohama from 1-7 November 2014.